Friday, July 16, 2010

Ugh, enough with the cuts!



Happy Friday ya'll, everyone doing ok, smelling good, looking good? Awesomeness. As I was brushing my gums this morning I received a tweet from Twitter regarding more layoffs in the world of video games. This didn't surprise me as the industry has been cutting deep in the payroll of a quite a few game company's since the first quarter of this year, even last year. So as I'm still standing there brushing the furcoat away from my teeth, I got the thinking; its no secret for whoever knows me that I want to be a game developer one day. Making the most delicious games anyone will ever play of my time. But as I read this tweet which led me by link to to the full article(ill post it at the end), I wondered about my chances when I actually am able to make that first purchase of a studio and a team. I wondered about how I'm going to stack up. Bare in mind, these layoffs and company failings r from BIG companies, Activision, Pandemic Studios, Midway, just to name a few. It's putting me in a position of observance, I'm looking at these great game studios with these great minds behind them and I'm thinking "how in the heck r ppl getting layed off in a multi billion dollar industry?????". I understand that these game studios have to maintain quality in their games and yes I know not every game is gonna sell big. But these(the 3 companies listed above) r big freaking companies that have the money, that have the resources to help improve their staff if needed. To help them improve the quality of the games being put out. Ugh, instead ppl who make a living doing what they luv get the cold edgy shaft of obsolescence, that is, a repetitive market where more and more r getting cut.

Here's the article from G4TV/The Feed's Patrick Klepek 6/15/10 @12:13pm



Sony Online Entertainment is the latest company to join the series of layoffs hitting the games industry. The company confirmed to me this morning they are laying off a total of 35 employees.

The layoffs themselves do not appear to be targeted at a particular development team. Here's the company's full statement, provided to me just moments ago:

“In a move to better align the company’s resources against areas of growth that meet consumer demand in today’s online market as well as improve operational efficiency, Sony Online Entertainment has eliminated just over 4% of its full-time workforce, equaling 35 people. The changes will better position SOE to deliver against its emphasis on developing games for a wider, more diverse audience and remaining a worldwide leader in online gaming.”

Nobody can argue that Sony isn't a great company, that's not the case here, but 35 ppl who put there trust in this great company r without jobs today. And I can't help but think that money is the root of it. Isn't it always though? Check the link below and weigh in on this subject, leave a comment. And I need sum more toothpaste!!!



Click here for the full article, I dare u> G4TV/Thefeed 

Sources: Twitter, G4TV.com, The Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment